Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 38: Monday, 6/27

A great big YAY goes to the Simmons! We confirmed with DHL this morning that their package has arrived on island and would be delivered to the U.S. Embassy at some point between 1:00-5:00 pm today. She then called the Embassy to give them her cell phone number so they could reach her more directly and they confirmed that they will be calling her this afternoon to come pick up the visa. If I'm this excited for them to be heading home, I can only imagine how thrilled I'll be when it's our turn.


Speaking of our turn, we still don't have any information. Gordon has not contacted us with a tracking number yet and we, of course, haven't heard a thing from the Embassy. We tried to ask at the DHL office if, by chance, they could tell if there is another package from the U.S. Embassy in Manilla on it's way but the best they could do was say that Stacy's package was the only one on island from Manilla.

We stopped at the Continental office and confirmed there were many seats available on tonights flight. Unfortunately, and a note to future families, since some of her flights home are on United, the Continental office here said they are not able to reschedule those. I'm skeptical to believe this since United is a partner of Continental but the staff seem very informed and insist it's true. Maybe the difference is that she had a travel agent make their flight reservations originally and maybe that limits who can do changes? We went directly through Continental and all of our flights are on Continental so I don't expect we'll have problems but if you're flying here, double check that you'll have the flexibility to use the Continental office here to change all parts of your return flight. It's easier and cheeper (no internet or phone costs).

We're waiting now for Emi to arrive – we have a date at 1:00. Coincidentally, so does Stacy with her birth mom so we're going to head down to the restaurant for lunch. We're planning to spend the rest of our day helping Stacy get everything together and driving her to the airport to see her and Oliver off. If Maddy's car is still not working, we might have to drive up to Rita to get the other birth mom so she can go to the airport but it'll limit the number of others she can bring as we'll all have to fit in the car. Might need to call Claudia and have her step in again.

Shortly after 1:00 housekeeping showed up so Jeff and I decided to go to the restaurant to wait for Emi. Stacy's birth mom had already arrive and brought them lunch so they wouldn't be joining us. We waited for nearly an hour but Emi didn't show up. We ate and then went back to the room. Just before 3:00, she arrived. I'm pretty sure we had the 1:00 time correct but maybe there was a “who'd watch the kids” issue. She told me pretty soon after arriving that Destiny and Bertha were both sad when she was coming over and they weren't. I think she was asking if she could go back and get them but I was hesitant to say yes only because of the hour. We were expecting to drive to the Embassy any time to pick up Stacy's package so I didn't want here to leave and return to find us gone. I think she understood what I was saying and instead we set about making another bracelet and pair of earrings.

Before Emi had arrived, I'd set out a string of beads that I intended to be for her sister, Baby (her nickname). When I showed it to Emi and said it was for Baby, she said, “no, Emi” and laughed... I don't think Baby is getting any jewelry :)

After a bit, Stacy invited us all down to her place while she packed so we gathered the small group and went down. Since the other birth mom was there, we were able to have her explain more about what was going on although I'm sure it was quite obvious as Stacy was flying all over the room throwing things into various suitcases... it was a pretty hectic afternoon. It was approaching 4:00 and we needed to get to the Embassy before 5:00 (especially considering the “no off-hours business” rules now in place). Emi was going to head home and the other birth mom asked if she could come with. None of us were sure if she and her son would be allowed inside the Embassy being Marshallese citizens without an appointment and without any identification so we erred on the side of caution and said no. I really didn't want anything to complicate getting Stacy's documents.

Stacy was giving her birth mom a suitcase full of miscellaneous items and since you can't get a taxi heading “up” the road due to the gym's roof being repaired, we drove them a little ways “down” the road where they could catch a taxi. Stacy, Oliver, Jeff, Grace and I then went to the Embassy. I also didn't know if they'd let the Warrens in without an appointment but they did and we all headed inside after the security check. Andrew met us in the main office with a sealed packet and a letter from him to the immigration folks in Hawaii. He gave her the lowdown on what would happen – basically, he'd phone ahead to let them know she's coming tonight (3:00 am their time) and she was to show them Oliver's Marshallese passport and give the packet – UNOPENED (very important, this) – to the immigration officer. As soon as Oliver lands in Hawaii, he'll be an American citizen – yay!

He then asked how her stay had been and she told him it's been amazing. He asked how we were doing and when I said “ok” - meaning, I wish I was heading home too today but we're hanging in there and trying to be patient – he looked concerned and said he hoped that we'd get our paperwork in soon and turn that into something better than “ok”. I then corrected his assumption that I felt our entire stay was just “ok” by explaining that we too have had a wonderful time and that all the Marshallese we've met have been so warm and welcoming. Our birth family has been wonderful and despite the language barrier, I really feel we've bonded with our birth mom. She seems to “get” us and we her despite the difficulties communicating. He seemed more pleased with this answer – I wasn't going to open the can of worms about our dealings with his family and the U.S. Embassy... things really need to be improved there as far as I'm concerned.

We came back to the hotel and while Stacy packed, I played with the kids and Jeff drove up to the Tide Table. Dolly, one of the waitresses at the Tide Table was getting the walker the Wilsons left behind and she'd stopped by to pick it up and to give Stacy a necklace. Jeff offered to drive her home and stop by the Tide Table to see if Stacy had left her small camera there during lunch last Saturday. Seems she now can't find it and is heartbroken over losing the many photos on the memory card. The MIR staff helped her contact the security and police who are keeping eyes open for it but it's extremely unlikely she'll get it back. Really, all she wants in the memory card and she's offered a $200 reward for it's return. The hotel is running an ad on the local access TV station saying as much and we'll be the contacts for it's return as long as we are here.

More of Stacy's birth family showed up around 6:00 to say goodbye so we excused ourselves to give them some privacy and room – and to get the kid ready for a trip to the airport at 6:30. The magic hour arrived and we along with Stacy, Oliver, birth mom and her other son headed to the airport. Maddy and/or Claudia were going to meet us there but we never did see them. The following day Maddy told me she arrive shortly after 8:00 which was minutes after the final boarding call and when we left. I was able to hold it together, barely, as I gave Stacy a big hug and then loaded her up with Oliver and all her carry on items. Here words, “The pack mule is ready!” I don't know how she managed it but at least she's on her way home! As I write this last bit it's about 11:00 am on our Tuesday and I expect she's just landing in San Francisco, give or take. I made her promise to email me at her earliest opportunity so I have to end this typing and log on to see if something's waiting for me... seems to be my current life – waiting to hear, uh, anything :)

2 comments:

  1. You be back home soon, don't worry =) Isn't it amazing the friendships that bloom by spending just one month together! I hope you gals keep in contact and I hope you hear more news for you soon. (I did receive your e-mail by the way)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Teresa: I wouldn't say "worry" is the right word for what I'm feeling. Disappointed - irritated - angry - embarrassed (that our Embassy can't seem to figure out how to improve this process or make friends with the one in Manilla). All in all, our time here is very pleasant and I appreciate the opportunity to get to know our birth family more than I can express.

    Those of you who know me well know that while I like to travel, I am, at heart, a homebody. I like my home, my city, my family, my friends and miss them terribly.

    Soon... cross your fingers, pray, send good thoughts that our paperwork arrives soon.

    ReplyDelete