Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 18: Tuesday, 6/7


Well, what an exciting day... tongue firmly planted in cheek. We weren't sure if we were going to get a visit today from Emi or not so we didn't make any plans that would take us away from the hotel. Turns out we needn’t have worried as plan have now been put off until possibly Saturday. So, what did we do?


Banana pancakes were on our minds again and we thought about heading over to the Wellness Center to try theirs, however, due to bacon – more specifically, the fact that the DWC does not serve such things – we chose to go downstairs to the Enra. Stacy joined us since we were staying close to home.

We were getting low on water again and never did receive our extra laundry detergent from the lady who did our laundry last time so I jumped in the car and headed across the street to the hardware store for some supplies. A new laundry basket, a couple packs of real “Tide” detergent and 5 gallons of water later, I was ready for my afternoon.

The dryer in the laundry room right outside our rooms doesn't work so I had to lug the basket of clothes across the front of the hotel and up the other stairs (the 3rd floor doesn't go all the way across). The washer was open so I started load one. The washer and dryer each costs $2 a piece and are pretty clean. The room, however, is not. There was a single cockroach in residence who kept popping out to see what I was up to. Ew. When I went back to get my last load from the dryer he was standing in front of it and even mock charged me a couple times. A hearty stomp of my flip-flop and he thought better of it. I got my laundry.

Just a note to my friends and family – if it seems like I'm giving a lot of details about the conditions here, where to find things and what things cost and you're thinking, “what the heck do I need to know that for?”... well, you don't. But we have met a number of folks who are interested in or planning to adopt from the RMI and it was so helpful for us when the previous families posted information for us to know before we traveled. I know a handful of them are following this blog – hi guys – so I hope it's helpful to hear about the mundane things.

In truth, Grace is only 10 weeks old (today, by the way) and there's only so much a 10 week old does all day. I don't think anyone really wants me to go into the details of some of it but I'm trying to note when she's doing something new. The past few days the grabbing stuff has been happening a lot more – she's be pulling things like blankets, shirts, the pacifier clip, and much to her annoyance, her own hair. It's cute until she screws up her faces and threatens to cry. She just doesn't understand the cause and effect relationship going on here...

Jeff has taught her a trick... when we're putting her diaper on he tells her to “stand up”. Of course, she's on her back but she shoots her legs straight out so it's easier to fasten it up. She even smiles a little like she knows she's helping :) She's also a pretty good dancer we've discovered. We have to help a little by holding her in a standing position but then she bops and gyrates a bit – it all kinda starts in the knees and sometimes she melts down into a heap of baby... and one time she danced herself sick. I wasn't around for that one but returned to the room to find her in a new onsie with her cute romper drying in the bathroom. Ah, the joys of baby barf. If you really want a detailed account, Jeff has provided one here: http://jkwarren.info/blogs/index.php/2011/06/06/adventure-marshall-islands-june-6. You may be sorry if you start reading his blog – he types way more than I do!

Not much else on Tuesday. We decided to try another recommended restaurant called the Stone House. It's a tiny Japanese restaurant that has apparently earned the honor of the cleanest restaurant on the island. In hindsight, I think we should have tried somewhere else. All three families went and we took up 1/6 of the seating. Both Grace and Oliver were really fussy and Collin accidentally knocked over his iced tea drenching the entire table. I'm pretty sure the waitress was glad to see us leave. The food, by the way, was very good. I had the Shrimp Katsu and, like everything here, it came with a side of cole slaw and macaroni salad. I don't think that's very Japanese but what do I know?

During the evening we received a text from Claudia asking if we'd like to visit with Emi on either Thursday or Saturday. We'd just made plans with the other families to go to Eneko for the day on Thursday so we suggested that we take Emi and her girls to Laura Beach on Saturday. Claudia said she'd let us know on Wednesday... I really hope it works out as it's been a week now since we've seen Emi. My assumption is that communication is the issue as she seems like she does want to spend time with us and Grace. But it could be that she's trying to distance herself a little - I will have to make sure and ask Claudia as we want to respect her wishes and not keep asking for visits if that's not what Emi wants.

Tomorrow we plan to run into Andrew and Jamie at the Enra all-you-can-eat sushi buffet. I look forward to meeting Jamie as I've only read her blog. If you're interested, check it out: http://zvirzdin.blogspot.com.

Just a note for those who might travel next regarding my comments regarding our trip on Jerry Cramer's boat - please don't just show up at his house on Sunday. Ask Gordon if it would be okay and he'll have to call Jerry for you to make sure. I realized after posting that information that it may have seemed like anyone could just show up. Most likely, if they have room it'll be okay!

2 comments:

  1. We love to read the mundane details - we learn the most from them!!! Thanks for the tip about the boat - don't want to be rude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dave & Angie - I'm glad the blog is doing its job and thanks for understanding about the boat thing. Gordon has been really great and I want to make sure we're all going through the proper channels when taking advantage of the courtesies they're offering. It's a blast and I'm sure as long as they're running to the island, they will enjoy taking you along!

    ReplyDelete