Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 17: Monday, 6/6

Monday was a day for running errands... got more formula, more diapers, more wipes, some stamps, more souvenirs, lots of information on the Marshall Islands, and even tried out a new place to eat.
Most of that doesn't need any further explanation but a mention should go to the Marshall Islands Visitors Association. We'd tried to stop by a couple of times but there were either closed during non-working hours or closed during working hours. A woman who's been teaching here told us the best times to get anything done around between 9-10 am and 2-4:30 pm... duly noted. We were on our way to the post office when Jeff saw lights on in the MIVA so we pulled over and went to check it out.
The very nice woman in the office provided us with an armful of free literature about the Marshalls, maps of the various atolls and a tour guide. We also purchased a few Marshallese calendars they had for sale. And I found out the spelling of the island we went to is “Enemanet”... we think. That's how it's spelled on the map we picked up but the woman spelled it very differently for Stacy when she asked. When I get home and if I remember, I'll scan in some of the information in case you're traveling here and would like to know more before you arrive. One disclaimer, there's a bit of embellishment going on in the tour guide.
A few other stops along the way for the things I already mentioned and it was time to eat. We decided to check out the Diabetes Wellness Center. It had come highly recommended and Monday was Portuguese Haystack day – yum! Yeah, I didn't know what that meant either but we were all game so we headed over to get some. We were greeted by one of the guys who runs the place and he filled us in on the routine. Monday – Portuguese Haystacks, Tuesday – Vegetable Curry, Wednesday – Vegetable Stir-fry, Thursday – whatever's available, Friday – Pasta. If you're sensing a vegetarian theme, you would be correct. They don't serve meat at this place as it's supposed to be a healthy alternative to some of the less healthy local food. Overall it was very good and we're thinking of trying the curry today. And, did I mention the frozen bananas dipped in peanut butter, chocolate and peanuts for desert? Delicious!
Grace has been doing great – I think she's gaining a pound each day! She's certainly eating enough. Too much, in fact as she's been spitting it back at us when she's all full up... but then she wants more. She's been a bit restless in the dinnertime/evening hours but still goes down well at night. The other night we fed her around 8:00 and she slept during dinner, only woke up briefly when we got home and changed her diaper, then slept until about 6:00 the next morning. I was embarrassed to even mention it to Stacy as Oliver is sleeping for around 45 minutes at a shot. I must say though that the 4-time mom is taking it all in stride and is doing well. We offer to help when we're around but she doesn't seem to need it much!
I'd called Claudia earlier in the morning to check on arrangements to meet with Emi this week. In the transition of Claudia to Donna and now Maddy returning to the islands, I wasn't sure if inquiries has been made. She said she'd get ahold of Emi and call me back but I never did hear from her. I've proposed Wednesday afternoon and I hope it works as we've now gone ahead and made plans for a boat tour to a neighboring island (Eneko) on Thursday. Of course if that's the only day open, we'll adjust our plans but I hope it works out so that we can do both. At least half of the Wilsons are leaving on Friday so we'd like to spend a little more time with them before they go.
For dinner we all went back to the place where our celebration dinner was held. The full name is the Ruwit Outback. The food the first time was good, just not great, but it was suggested we give it a second try. After the mainly vegetarian day I decided to get a good old steak. It was good but overcooked for my liking. Jeff and Stacy each ordered the fried chicken breast. It also looked good but Stacy said was cooked a bit dryer than she would have liked. It was banana cream pie for desert – yum!
We don't have anything planned for Tuesday so maybe I'll resume my search for a photo printing place and make some more jewelry. We noticed the DWC (wellness center) had banana pancakes for breakfast for $2... a nice price but I'm not sure if they'll offer coffee and I know there's no bacon on the menu. Jeff wants to give it a shot so maybe we'll check it out regardless.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad your baby whispering techniques are working on your own child, not just mine and Lori's. Oliver is SO cute, too! I have to laugh at how much of your posts are about food =) Love you! Oh, sad news...Hadji died. Don' know if Jeff happened to see it on Facebook or not. Or, if he's even friends with Bill.

    ReplyDelete