Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day 26: Wednesday, 6/15


After a bit of a slow start today, we met Stacy and Oliver for breakfast downstairs and were off to run a couple of errands. Jeff had some word to do so he stayed in the hotel with Grace with hopes that she'd have a more hands-off morning. From what I understand when I got back, that wasn't really the case. She wasn't fussy or crying... just wanted to chat and look at dad's goofy face. Not much work got done but he didn't look like he minded when I got back to the room.


Stacy and I went over to the hospital to get our copies of the kids' medical records. I only received about 6 pages of material and I can't read most of it... doctor scratch. But, I 'm hopeful that the clinic at home will be able to decipher it. Stacy received a thicker packet but still not as much as I would have thought. Oliver is 2 months older than Grace and there have been some immunizations and additional visits so I assume that accounts for the additional information.

After that we headed over to the Elefa Handicrafts shop. The woman who owns it (and lives behind the store) suggested I return on Wednesday to ask if she'd been able to find someone who could make Grace a Kemem mat. I can't remember if I've mentioned this before and am too lazy to go back and look. The Kemem is the child's first birthday and is very important in Marshallese culture. I think part of the reason it's such a big deal has to do with infant survival rates – if they make it to a year, that's a both an accomplishment and an indication they'll probably be okay from then on. We haven't heard a front-to-back description of what happens at the Kemem but have been told there's usually music playing while the guest dance past the baby (who is sitting on the Kemem mat) and tossing or placing money on the mat for the baby. The parties are a really big deal here and people who can spend lots of money on it. Often, the family will have shirts made with a photo of the baby and a “Happy First Birthday” or “Contratulations” messages printed on them. You see them being worn around town. For any of you who have already travelled, I'd love to hear more of what you know of the Kemem either in the comments so all can read or, if you'd rather, email me directly!

Unfortunately, she doesn't have any information for me yet but we'll check back with her on Saturday when we go for our weaving class. She used to offer classes but doesn't do them regularly anymore. We are really excited to go make something ourselves and, I think, we will get to use some shells we've found while we've been here. Oh, and she had a belt that was made using the long purple things I'd found on the beach so I asked her what they were from. Teresa, you were most likely right! She didn't know the words for the animal they come from but when we offered sea urchin, she agreed that yes, it was probably from the sea urchin. And the most important part is that they do make jewelry from it so I know it's not going to do something gross and decay or start smelling :)

I think there was a stop at the Payless and the bank to buy rolls of quarters mixed in there but everything is starting to run together. They day in general was kind of a “low” day. Woke up late, couldn't really get it together all day, it was hot (big surprise there) and things just seemed off. The afternoon was no better... I planned to do some laundry even though Jeff tried to convince me to bring it to the laundry lady for her to do. I guess I was looking for something to fill the time and it did, all afternoon and even beyond dinner. Ugh.

There are a few laundry rooms here at the hotel. Unfortunately the one right outside our room has a dryer that is out of order. Not wanting to wash clothes there and the drag a basket of wet clothes to another laundry room, I have used the one by room 340 (down to 2nd floor, across the lobby, back up to 3rd floor) but this time I decided to head the opposite way to the laundry by room 321 (down the hall and up the stairs). I went ahead to check to see if it was in use and it wasn't. Bonus! So I headed over with my first of 3 loads and was rewarded again... apparently, the washer in this room only costs $1 per load (not $2 like the other washers). The loads take ½ hour so when I went back to check, I expected the washer to be just finishing up. I guess I was a minute or two late as my wet clothes had already been placed on top of the dryer and someone else had started their load in the washer.

Seriously, it had to be a matter of minutes but I didn't have another load waiting right there so they probably thought I was done. I put load #1 in the dryer and went back to the room. Went back with load #2 and the woman had already removed her first load (on the dryer now) and started her second load... my timing must really be off. My first load in the dryer was now done but only about ¾ dry. I put them in the basket and headed to the other laundry room to finish them up.

I will spare you the rest of the details but between the two working laundry rooms, a stuck change slider, a bad dryer, and a woman intent on not letting me get any laundry washed, I finally brought everything back by that evening. We actually wedged dinner in between trips to the laundry room. For future families, I'd recommend the laundry room by 340. The washer and dryer each only take 30 minutes and the dryer actually dries your clothes.

I ended up having a cheese burger and fries for dinner with apple pie and ice cream for desert. Yum! Fussy McFusspants did not want to go to sleep so we treated her to a little Big Bang Theory... she wasn't very interested but the noise kept her entertained. She finally went down around the 4th (of 6) episodes. We finished up and it was time for this puppy to head to bed.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Claire - We were all missing you at work today and started talking about your blog. Little did I know there were pictures on the "photos" tab! (I know, I know so obvious..hold your comments to yourself please!) Anyway, she's adorable and you all look so happy. Lots of hair like expected and yes, she can be the next Target baby model:) Miss you and great to see pictures too!
    Kirk

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL- my random knowledge pays off- I got one right! I've been meaning to reply to your e-mail but yes if you can get contact info. re: the mat , I'd love that =)
    As for the Kemem, I'll have to find the link from rmikids and pass it along. Also what's been very helpful to us as we plan Noe's Kemem, is watching YouTube videos. I think you'll have to wait 'til you're in the states for that though!
    The same super punctual laundry lady must still live there =D We had the same issue with laundry 321! We'd always find our laundry on top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kirk - You're kidding, right? First, have you met me? If you think I'm going to hold my comments, then you're seriously mistaken. Second - doh! Too funny!
    @Teresa - I should know more on Saturday about the mats and looking on YouTube is a great idea! I'm on the RMI-Kids list so I can find those myself - just hadn't seen any material on it but maybe I didn't look hard enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire, my name is Marie and I believe I was one of the flight attendants on Stacy and Oliver's flight home from the Marshall Islands. I was googling to see if I could find them because I have a picture of me holding him on the flight. It was so awesome! I would like to send her the picture if it is her. She was on the flight about June 26, 2011? United Airlines? I got to hold Oliver for her for a bit! (She was exhausted!) MarieFWhiteis@aol.com

    ReplyDelete