Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Presently On Hold

So as I sit here during my "wait time of 20 to 25 minutes" with Continental Airlines, I figure a quick shout out is in order. We finally received our court date (May 24th) on which everything else is based. As I said, I'm on hold with Continental now and haven't made our reservations, but I believe we'll be flying out on Thursday morning and arriving in Majuro, Marshall Islands on Saturday morning. We will most likely meet our daughter within hours of arriving!



It's all about the details at this point. Getting things wrapped up at work is a biggie. I think I'm more prepared than I realize and my coworkers have been absolutely great! There are some unexpected details to work out about my leave but there's not a lot I can do to resolve it until I get back from the RMI.

The bigger priority at the moment is getting my flights booked and the hotel reservations done. The ticket prices happen to be the highest I've seen in months. The discount sites have typically been more expensive but currently are showing lower prices - but with the unpredictable nature of this trip, I'm leery about making reservations through a third party. Resolving issues that arise could be a problem - even simple flight changes which, unfortunately, happen often.

The hotel where we want to stay has not returned my email sent yesterday and right now it's about 1:00 am in the RMI. I don't expect to hear until later today. It's frequently the case that the hotel or room type (standard/suite) you want isn't available so we'll just have to play it by ear. Many families start in one room/hotel and move to another when a preferred room opens up.

Additionally, we're wrapping up things around the house. My step-son (Andrew) and his girlfriend (Sam) will be house and dog sitting for us while we're gone. Can't thank them enough! The dogs are in good hands with them around and they might even get a trip to the doggie spa and daycare where Sam works... they may not want us back!

We're doing our best to ensure we have good internet connectivity while we're there (requesting the right room, buying a large internet card, etc.) but I'm sure you'll understand if blog posts are spotty. Frequent outages were experienced by the last family who traveled so you never know.

This is probably the last post until we're on our way - maybe later Thursday or on Friday... and we skip a day in there as we cross the dateline as well.

Until then, take care everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment