Friday, April 29, 2011

Not This Weekend & The iPad Ate My Post!

So I won't be buying baby clothes or anything that depends on size/weight/gender during my shopping trip this weekend. I called LSS to see if my "good feeling about this week" was going to stay that way - it won't. I hadn't heard from our adoption worker in about a month unless you count 5 minutes of generic conversation at the reception on 4/12 - which I don't - so I decided to give her a call yesterday morning and see what's going on.



I didn't get a response until this morning when another adoption worker (let's call her "C") called on her behalf to tell me that was in a meeting and couldn't respond to my phone call from this morning right away but would do her best to call me later today or over the weekend. Notice the "this morning"? Not the first time C" has confused the details of something... I know, I'm nit-picking, but there you have it. In the draft of our Home Study she referred to us as Mike and Jenny (or some other set of incorrect names). I would expect someone working with this subject in this field to be a bit more, you know, aware of the details...

So the rest of our conversation was, well... uninformative. I strongly believe that "I don't know" is a valid answer and one I prefer instead of something made-up and passed off as fact, so I did appreciate that. I also learned that May 1 is Constitution Day (I think it's actually being observed on Monday, May 2). This will probably cause a slight delay in our paperwork.

And speaking of delays, it's now after 11 PM and I'd finished writing my post this evening using a borrowed iPad. I won't make that mistake again... all I had to do was hit Publish when it froze on me and then dumped most of what I'd written. I was tired of fighting with the dang thing (difficult to type and who's heard of multi-touch instead of scroll bars anyway) so now I'm back on the computer.

I've lost my writing mo-jo so you're getting the short version...

Received a call from our worker this afternoon and she told me that the non-detail-oriented "C" actually took over as our main contact at LSS and was supposed to be keeping in contact with us. She hadn't been. But I've been reassured that will change.

Also found out that the Director of the CAA is only now returning to the RMI after spending an additional week in the US visiting family. This fits better with various tidbits of information we've gathered and we now hope the paperwork we've been expecting will start making its way to us soon.

So it's travel supplies, gifts for the birth family, and maybe a few toys on the shopping list this weekend. Still looking forward to hanging out with Jen and chatting about baby stuff. Every once in a while she'll blurt out some "oh, I almost forgot... you need to know this..." kind of fact about baby wrangling. Much needed and appreciated! If you feel so inclined, share your advice in the Comments :)

Good night people and good riddance iPad!

4 comments:

  1. We understand your frustration at this point in your process. We went through numerous social workers during ours and we too were wondering what was going on. If you need to someone to talk to, feel free to contact us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys! In that moment I'm not sure if I was more frustrated with the apparent miscommunication on who was supposed to be keeping us updated or with that darn iPad...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the stories you can tell baby as part of their birth story ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The long wait and the unknown is beyond difficult. Only those of us that have been there can truly understand. And unfortunately I also know that there really aren't any words of comfort either. At this point I think the only words that make waiting parents feel better come from the agency and are something around "here's your referral". :)

    But if you need anything please call...questions, to vent, to meet again for lunch :) just let us know.

    Matt & I are thinking about you & Jeff.

    ReplyDelete