Sunday, April 24, 2011

Another Week...

Are you getting tired of waiting? Us too! Another week has gone by without any word from the RMI or our agency, LSS. To be fair we didn't expect anything this past week as the officials only returned to the RMI mid-week. Claudia (the Director of the CAA) said she was hopeful she'd be able to begin putting some paperwork together for us when she was back in the office but we've learned to not put too much stock in timelines - especially ones that include words like "hopeful". Maybe it's good practice for when we're in country waiting for our child's US Visa to arrive.



I have, however, been receiving amazing emails from a friend of ours who is in the Marshal Islands right now. I am so grateful for the information she's sent back. The simple logistics of traveling halfway across the world can be complex... add to it that you're finalizing the legal aspects of an adoption, gaining custody of an infant whom you don't know and can't anticipate their every need, and being introduced to an entirely new culture with norms and expectations that differ considerably from yours. The details can become downright daunting! To all of the families who've shared their experiences with us - thank you!

I'm hopeful (there's that word again) that we'll see some paperwork this week or the following. Despite what I said earlier about timelines, I have a good feeling about this so I'm trying to wrap up all my pre-trip to-dos in the next 7 days. Wish me luck. On tap are several runs to various stores to stock our portable drug store - there's a list of things we've been told to bring and even though Jeff rolls his eyes at me when I discuss it, I know he'll be pretty happy when I can pull out that tube of hydrocortisone cream or azithromycin. Yeah - he'll be thanking me then :)

I have a date with Jen next Sunday to shop for gifts to bring. It's customary to arrive with gifts for the birth mom and family, extended family, CAA officials, and other local children. Jeff came up with a few neat ideas so I'll be doing the leg work to see if I can find everything. If you have any ideas, I'd be glad for your Comments!

I'll also mention again that if you know someone who works for Continental Airlines and would be willing to help me navigate the rates and deals offered, please introduce me! Flights to the RMI are consistently around $2k-$2,500 - while they don't do discounts for early purchases, rates do differ depending on what day you leave. Unfortunately all those frequent flyer miles I've been accumulating on NWA/Delta can't be used on Continental since they became just Delta. If I'd only known!

Send some good wishes our way this week!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Claire,
    I have been checking this everyday. We are praying that you hear something soon! Have a great day and keep us posted!

    PS - I think our dossier is being submitted this week!
    Jennifer Watson
    Nashville, TN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen - Congrats on the progress! I hope you hear something quickly. I was great meeting you at the reception!

    ReplyDelete