Friday, May 10, 2013

2 Years Old... give or take

I can hardly believe it's been almost 2 years since we returned from the RMI with our daughter, Grace. An amazing, fun, sometimes crazy and sometimes very routine 2 years! I find myself a bit nostalgic for a couple of reasons. Of course, Adoption Day is 2 weeks away - but if that weren't enough, dear friends of ours have just arrived on island and will be adopting their second daughter on Monday. And the pictures... oh, the pictures... just make me want to jump on a plane and fly back - today - right now.


So our little group of MN/Marshallese families has been growing steadily. Every few months someone new joins and we have more babies to cuddle. We've had two other existing family adopt their second child. But the idea that our First Family is on their second trip makes me pause for some reason... and consider... should we go back? should we think about entering the program again? Their family make-up is similar to ours: we're what some would consider to be "older" parents and we have other kids already in their 20s. Makes me think it's not as crazy as it sounds in my head. But I'd have some convincing to do as I think the hubby is set on just the once...

Future talk can wait until later. For now, we've got the 2 year old! The second birthday passed with much less fanfare than the first. I don't think we'll throw another party like the Kemem until, at least, High School graduation. Presents are a bigger thing than they were even as recently as this last Christmas 3 months before. Bubbles were a big hit - but a risky proposition as Grace does not understand keeping the container upright and, without a doubt, will dump the entire contents by tipping the container over at some point. Another big hit was the first actual baby doll. "Baby" has been dragged all over the house but since putting on the clothes are still a challenge for 2-year-old fingers, she's almost always naked. Now I understand why every doll at daycare is in the same state.

The 2-year doctors visit went off without a hitch - and without any shots! I was really surprised considering how many she's had in the past. (slightly more than the average since we started her vaccinations over from the beginning.) Grace is a whopping 33 inches tall and around 27 pounds - growing and developing well. Running, jumping, singing and having conversations - real, actual conversations. This is so fun!

The weather is finally getting nice and staying that way. If you've followed national weather or live near me, you know that MN has had some pretty major swings lately... snow storm one week and 70s the next. Speaking of snow - Grace is a natural Minnesotan. She loved shoveling - no, really - she would ask to shovel every time we went outside! Now that it's nice out she wants "stroller outside" about 50 times a day. It's difficult to communicate to a child that doesn't understand the concept of time that you can't go now because it's bedtime or raining or any other reason it's not a good time for a walk. But we get by.

It's Friday afternoon and I'm ready for the weekend to begin. We have a play date with our friends at the Children's Museum on Saturday and a casual Mother's Day with grandma on Sunday. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Claire my name is Farrah and my husband and I live in MS. We are desiring to adopt from the Marshall Islands and I found your blog during our research. We were wondering if you would share with us your experience and journey of getting your precious daughter home. We have some friends who have or are adopting but none from RMI so no one to seek advice from. Adoption as you know can be so daunting so wanted to reach out to find help along the way. My email address is farrahnewman2@gmail.com if you feel comfortable communicating. Congratulations on your daughter!

    ReplyDelete