Thursday, August 4, 2011

Pet Peeves

I have a handful of pet peeves: bad elevator etiquette, people who say "irregardless", TV shows that are "to be continued" or when the DVR ends the recording of a show early... and now, baby nails. I've discovered I have an incredibly low tolerance for being scratched by baby nails! Have you ever tried to cut them? I even have baby emery boards but you truly just can't keep up and there's always that one you miss. UGH!



I just lulled the kid to sleep and waited a long 10 minutes to make sure she was fully out before attacking those fingers with the mini baby nail clippers - A-HA I say... got them all. And then after she woke up, found out I actually didn't. But, I was desperate enough to attempt the clipping while she was awake. She's fine - all 10 fingers are intact - I'm fine, no more scratching my neck to hell.

After another hour awake batting at her fairy lady (her new favorite toy), a diaper change and a bottle, she's now back down for a nap. Seems the napping is much more napping than sleeping... she used to be out for a solid 3 hours but now it's about 45 minutes of fidgeting, gurgling and opening/closing her eyes. I didn't expect her to go from one extreme to the other so quickly. I wonder if the ear infection didn't totally go away?

She has an appointment with the audiologist tomorrow afternoon for a newborn hearing test. According to her medical records from Majuro, they did one there but our pediatrician wants to do it again. I'll ask the tech if she sees any sign of a lingering infection or if I should take her back in to be looked at. Our next appointment with the pediatrician is still 4 weeks away so I don't want to wait until then.

For those of you missing pictures since we returned, here are a few:

Her dancing monkey outfit (the site of her first blowout) is now clean and ready to wear!
A lazy morning hanging out in mom and dad's bed.
First try in the Bumbo seat... she likes it!
We're working hard during tummy time... the effort is overwhelming at times.
Grace and her battle wounds... that's 3 shots in the thighs and 2 unsuccessful blood draws.
I wouldn't be happy either
We've had a few more visitors this week. Jon and Lori came by last night with Thai food - OH MY - YUM! And they braved the crabby one as she fussed and cried and yelled half the night. After dinner I subjected Lori to the stories and a million photos from our trip and she listened attentively like she actually was interested :) Jon and Jeff went into the family room with Grace and chatted about computer stuff. Do I really need to say it folks? Yes, Grace finally fell asleep... BAHAHAHAHA! I wouldn't put money on her becoming a computer programmer in her adulthood.
We also had a visit from my boss who graciously brought us a meal of my choosing... her legendary mac-n-cheese pie! All I can say is that it's one of the best things I've ever eaten in my life. Jeff and I each had two pieces... I was stuffed almost to the point of pain and happy to be so. My admiration for her is brought even higher knowing was a "labor of love" making this dish is. I remember her telling me that before when she'd made it for a friend of mine but forgotten... this is all the more important to note now as she's expecting twins in late September. AK, if you're reading this - Thank you, thank you, thank you for the amazing meal and, if you can share it, I'd would love the recipe!

Today is another trip downtown to pick up my box of veggies from the local farmer guy. I'm pretty excited since we now have a working refrigerator in which to store said veggies... I've tried to use them all in the past couple weeks but it's difficult when you can't keep them cool in this heat. I've had to toss more than half of them. They've had a bounty of patty pan squash... while cute, I've never cooked these before and am a little intimidated. But, I'll grab a few extras for our guests expected on Saturday and see how they do on the grill. Going to finally make some ribs and, as promised, am adding macaroni/potato salad to our regular cookout menu - hoping it turns out like the good stuff in Majuro!

1 comment:

  1. She is getting so big and adorable (but, she's always been that!)! Hope her ears are doing OK. I think it is probably late, but Rachael Ray just had a few squash recipes in her magazine, one of which was for patty pan squash.

    We are still just waiting for the all important referrl call

    ReplyDelete